Below is the original, with my alterations.
Oven roasted vegetables
2 medium parsnips, peeled and quartered or 3 large parsnips,
peeled and cut into quarters - zucchini
2 medium carrots, peeled and quartered
8 small red potatoes, halved if large - didn't use
2 small white turnips, quartered - 1 large yam
3 tablespoons olive oil
4 white pearl onions, peeled
4 cloves garlic, trimmed but unpeeled
1 large portobello mushroom
8 Brussels sprouts, trimmed and halved
8 shiitake mushrooms, stemmed - button mushrooms
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, diced
1/4 cup dry white wine
1 tablespoon thyme leaves - didn't use
1 tablespoon chopped flat-leafed parsley, leaves - didn't use
Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- In a large bowl, toss the parsnips, carrots, potatoes and turnips, in 1 tablespoon of the olive oil, plus a little salt and pepper, until coated.
- Arrange the vegetables cut-side down on a large baking sheet and roast on the bottom shelf of the oven for 20 minutes or until the vegetables are beginning to brown.
- Turn the vegetables 2 or 3 times during cooking to prevent burning.
- In the same bowl, toss the pearl onions, garlic and portobello mushroom with 1 tablespoon of olive oil, plus a little salt and pepper, until coated. Add this mixture to the baking sheet of vegetables and gently stir to combine.
- Continue roasting for 7 to10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, bring a small saucepan of salted water to boil and blanch the Brussels sprouts for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Drain thoroughly under cold running water. Set aside separately.
- In a small bowl, combine the shiitake mushrooms and the Brussels sprouts and toss with 1 tablespoon of olive oil, plus a little salt and pepper, until coated.
- Add them to the baking sheet of vegetables, stirring to combine.
- Dot the butter over the vegetables and sprinkle with 1/4 cup wine.
- Roast for another 7 to 10 minutes.
- Remove the vegetables from the oven and gently mix them with the thyme and parsley before serving.
If you're lucky I'll share the amazing chicken recipe we had with it :-)