I'm going to share both of mine, but today I'm just going to share one.
Before I started, I had no idea what fennel was. When I got it home, I realized it smelled like licorice. I REALLY don't like licorice - but it was too late now. Surprisingly, after cooking it, I really liked it. The flavor mellowed down quite a bit and it had great texture.
Steak and Fennel Sandwich
1/2 tsp ground fennel seeds - I found whole fennel seed that I ground
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground cumin
1/4 tsp ground black pepper
4 tsp olive oil
3 cups thinly sliced fennel bulb (about one bulb)
4 4-oz beef tenderloin steaks (1" thick) - sandwich steak
8 tsp homemade mayonnaise - Miracle Whip (or use a canola-based mayo if you want to stay healthy)
8 slices ciabatta - sour dough
1 cup arugula - organic salad blend with arugula
- Combine fennel seed, salt, cumin, and pepper in a bowl.
- Heat 2 tsb oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add 1/2 tsp spice mixture and all the fennel.
- Saute for 15 min or until fennel is tender and lightly browned. Stir frequently.
- Transfer hot mixture to bowl.
- Wipe down pan with paper towel. Careful!! It's still hot!
- Heat remaining 2 tsp oil in pan.
- Sprinkle steaks with remaining spice mixture.
- Add steaks to pan and cook to desired doneness. About 4 min per side.
- Assemble the sandwich - Toasted bread slice, mayo, beef, fennel, arugula, bread
This is a fantastic and easy-to-make sandwich! I will defiantly make it again, but with one change. I will be sure to use tenderloin steak. I bought some generic sandwich steak and it was very tough. It made the sandwich very hard to eat and not enjoyable.