1 cup unsalted butter, at room temp
3/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
3/4 cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs, at room temp
1 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp freshly ground nutmeg
1/2 tsp ground ginger
2 cups old-fashioned rolled oats – not instant
1 1/2 cup grated carrots – about 3 large carrots
1 cup raisins (Optional)
1/2 cup toasted chopped walnuts (Optional) - I omitted these
This makes A TON of frosting. You can probably cut in half.
2 stick of butter, at room temp
16 oz cream cheese, at room temp
8 cups confectioners sugar - I used closer to 7 cups (which equals almost one large bag)
1 splash vanilla extract
- Line two baking sheets with parchment paper, silpats, or simply spray with cooking spray.
- In a mixer, beat butter and sugars on medium speed until light and fluffy (about 3 – 4 minutes in a stand mixer).
- Add eggs and vanilla and beat on medium until well combined.
- In a separate bowl, sift together flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, and ginger - whisk to combine.
- Gradually add flour mixture to butter mixture; mix on low until just combined. Do not overmix.
- Mix in oats, carrots, raisins, and walnuts.
- Chill dough for at least 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Shape tablespoons of dough into balls and place on prepared baking sheets, spacing 2 inches apart.
- Bake until browned and crisp around the edges, 12 to 15 minutes rotating halfway through.
- Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Combine butter and cream cheese in mixing bowl and mix on medium speed for 5 minutes.
- While mixing at a low speed, add sugar.
- Once combined, add a splash of vanilla extract and mix on a medium to high speed for 3 minutes, or until smooth and fully combined.
- Frost half the cookies and top with the other half to make the sandwich!