Broccoli and Cheddar Quiche with a Brown Rice Crust
2 cups cooked brown rice
1/4 cup cheddar cheese, finely grated
1 cup milk
2 cups broccoli, cut into bite sized pieces and blanched (how to blanch)
1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, grated - we just used medium chedder for the entire 1 1/4 cups needed
4 green onions, sliced
1 pinch nutmeg (optional)
Salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 450.
- Mix the rice, finely grated cheese, and one egg in a bowl.
- Press the rice mixture into a pie plate, about 1/4 inch thick.
- Bake until the edges and bottom just start turning golden brown, about 5 to 7 minutes.
- Turn the oven down to 375.
- Mix the remaining eggs, milk, broccoli, sharp cheddar cheese, and green onions in a bowl.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Pour the egg mixture into the pie crust and put dish back in the oven until the crust is golden brown and the egg is set in the center, about 30 to 35 minutes.