Cupcakes and Frosting
2 1/4 cups cake flour
1 cup + 2 Tbs whole milk, at room temperature
6 large egg whites (3/4 cup), at room temperature
|Lions and Hippos|
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups + 2 Tbs granulated sugar
4 tsp baking powder
1 tsp table salt
12 tsp unsalted butter, softened but still cool
Muffin pan paper liners
20 Tbs (2½ sticks) unsalted butter, softened
2½ cups Confectioners’ sugar
1/8 tsp table salt
2 tsp vanilla extract
2 Tbs heavy cream
Decorating ingredients - optional:
Mardi Gras decorations
- Purple, green, and yellow food coloring
- Purple, green, and yellow sanding sugars
- Caramel corn
- Nutter Butter cookies
- Candied eyes
- O-shaped cereal
- Black decorating gel
- Red, yellow, and blue food coloring
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Line muffin pan with paper liners.
- In a 2-cup measuring glass, combine milk, egg whites, and extracts and mix with fork until blended.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, on low speed combine cake flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt.
- Add butter and continue beating at slow speed until mixture resembles moist crumbs, with no powdery streaks remaining.
- Add all but 1/2 cup of milk mixture to crumbs and beat at medium speed for 1½ minutes.
- Add remaining 1/2 cup of milk mixture and beat 30 seconds more.
- Stop mixer and scrape sides of bowl.
- Return mixer to medium speed and beat 20 seconds longer.
- If you are making the animal cupcakes:
- Pour batter into muffin pan
- If you are making the Mardi Gras cupcakes:
- Split the batter into 3 separate bowls
- Mix in the food coloring into each bowl
- Put batter into individual pipping or ziplock bags
- Squeeze/layer each color into the muffin pan (for example, purple, then yellow, then green)
- Bake 15 to 17 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Transfer muffin pan to wire racks to cool completely before removing cupcakes. Cool completely prior to frosting.